The West Ring

Lurchers, photography, and a bit more besides

The West Ring header image 2

Is Your Exif Data Missing?

March 29th, 2008 by Iain · 7 Comments

I recently noticed a few pictures that I’d uploaded to Flickr didn’t have any Exif data(and in fact still don’t as I haven’t changed them yet). I don’t know about you, but if I see a picture that I like I often take a look at the Exif, primarily as a learning exercise. The fact that mine was missing annoyed me so I decided to investigate.

I found that the reason why was actually quite simple. It’s the “Save For Web” option within Photoshop Elements 6 that strips it out. I haven’t checked but guess that it does it to produce a smaller file size. If you use “Save As” instead you get to keep your Exif so that’s the way I’ll be creating my Jpegs from now on.

Using this method throws up a complication: image resizing. When you “Save For Web” you get the option to resize by pixels but this doesn’t happen when you “Save As” – you have to resize beforehand. However, selecting Image | Resize from the menu doesn’t appear to allow you to resize by pixels. You get a choice of percent, inches, cm, mm, points, picas or columns. Now I’m sure I could work out the percentage I need, but I don’t want to! Luckily the solution simple, if not obvious: tick the box to “Resample Image”. Bingo, you can resize by pixels.

Can anyone tell me why it should be this complicated? Or what the different resample options (bilinear/bicubic/etc) mean?

Tags: Photography · Tips

7 responses so far ↓

• 1 Stew // Mar 30, 2008 at 3:20 pm

I use Photoshop 6 and have found that it strips out the exif data no matter how I save:

Save As
    Save for Web

I have no solution yet

• 2 Iain // Mar 30, 2008 at 6:14 pm

Hi Stew

Bummer! That must be really annoying. I’m afraid I’m a Photoshop newbie so haven’t seen anything that might explain why you’re getting that.

If you do work it out could you post back and let me know?

Cheers
    Iain

• 3 Scott W // Mar 31, 2008 at 9:50 am

I use Photoshop CS and it keeps all of my EXIF details as you’ll see on all my flickr pictures.

I just use the normal save/save as option.

• 4 Anthea // Mar 31, 2008 at 10:10 am

Hi Iain,
    That’s interesting to know because I’ve never checked to see if the way I save a picture keeps that data intact. I have been using GIMP and after reading your post I thought I should check to see if the EXIF data was on my Flickr photos. There isn’t a “Save for web” option in GIMP but the EXIF data does appears to be there.
    I don’t know for sure, but I’d have to agree with you that the “Save for web” option in Photoshop is producing the smallest file size possible and therefore stripping out the EXIF data.

• 5 Iain // Mar 31, 2008 at 9:54 pm

Hi Anthea

I did consider trialling GIMP but decided to stick with PE6. The main reason was that most of the magazines I read have lots of Photoshop tutorials and I need all the help I can get! :lol:

• 6 10. What I learned about photography this week — Lilahpops :: Plunging into photography // Apr 1, 2008 at 10:06 am

[...] Is your EXIF data missing? [...]

• 7 rsthl // Oct 18, 2012 at 1:43 pm

In terms of proper resizing, I learned it like this.
    Create an “Action” in Photoshop and during recording go to image size and select percentage. Then type in 90% and click ok. Stop recording and save the action. This reduces the image size by 10% no matter what the original size. Now just keep on clicking on that action until you reached you desired size. This seems complicated, but it is supposed to be the way to remain highest quality while resizing. Also you might what to fiddle with the interpolation options bicubic sharper works good if you don’t overdo it. If you resize your picture quite a bit, use just bicubic.